Winter is indeed just around the corner. With winter comes the New Year and the bulk of the annual reports are due. It is very important that you start looking at your State and Federal reports right now to find inconsistencies.
Winter To-Do List
- Search all pending records and make sure you close out all patients that are not in your care.
- If your state has a state report, make sure you can access it and that it is working. It is found under “Quick Links”, “Reports” If you do not see a state report for your state, please send us a blank copy ASAP so we can get it into the system. We believe we have them all, but if we don’t we would appreciate your help.
- Make sure mammals, birds and herps are where they belong in the report. Sometimes if a species is changed in the Cage Card it does not fully update, we can not find any reason why it does this, but we think it happens by not clicking update. It will change the species name but not the species info behind the scenes.
- Identify unidentified species. It is very common to have several species that are not identified correctly. If someone just types is swallow instead of selecting Barn Swallow, then the database does not recognize that animal. The database is pretty smart, but not that smart. My hope is that this week we can create an easy way to fix the unidentified animals through settings. Until then, the easiest thing to do is search all 2016 records, Export Records, select the Common Name and all the Taxonomy and export. This will give you a list you can compare common names entered and the animals taxonomy. If it says unidentified in all the taxa, you know it is an unidentified animal. The Case # is the ID and you can go back into WRMD and fix the info.
Suggestions and Ideas
Throughout the year we get many new suggestions, ideas and possible fixes. We always look at these, filter through what can be done and can’t be done and put them on a priority list. I would like to invite our users to make any suggestions and ideas they would like to see in the New Year. We have many items on our lists, but we would like to see what is more urgent for our users. Please email me at [email protected]. I will do my best to reply quickly on if it is something will can do and also the status of that suggestion.
We are particularly interested in ideas for analytic and reports you would like to see more of. Feel free to repeat yourself if you have already sent me ideas in the past.
First off, we would like to thank all our users and their flexibility in adapting their organization to use Wildlife Rehabilitation MD. From our travels to other facilities we have seen many different ways to record and disseminate information. It is not easy to change procedures within any wildlife rehabilitation organization, yet our users have done it! Wildlife will benefit greatly, from your actions.
One of our goals has been to incorporate the best ideas from what individuals and organizations have shared with us, and to add them into WRMD. We want to share with you what new features and upgrades are planned for WRMD. Below is our to do list for the next year. Our list is endless, but we are trying to keep to a development plan. Our hope is to have accomplished many of the items before the end of 2014. Some features will be added very soon. Others will be added during the 2014-2015 change over.
Features and Upgrades to Come Sooner Than Later
- Add the ability to choose which fields you see in the “List Records” screen (done).
- Allow users to log into multiple accounts with the same credentials (done).
- Allow users to search for records across all years (done).
- Add Lab and Prescription rechecks which will show up in the recheck reports.
- Create a more useful husbandry extension.
- A complete redesign of the analytics section with more user control of what data is being reported.
Features and Upgrades That Will Occur at the End of the Year
- Add the ability to identify siblings and/or foster families.
- Add the ability to transfer records to another facility.
- Allow homecare users, sub-permitted and satellite rehabers to login and only see their records as well as allow other accounts to see and collaborate on their records.
- Update how enclosure’s are recorded to better track where an animal is and where it has been.
- Add the ability to identify feathers and anatomical locations of concern on body map images.
- Update the age terms to standardized terminology.
- Adoption of the Clinical Wildlife Health Initiative terminology.
Many of the above features will require user input before being adopted into WRMD. As we begin to work on a new feature we will be reaching out to our users for their input as well as presenting our ideas of how a new feature might work.
We continue to appreciate feedback from our users. If you think you have an amazing idea that would benefit WRMD and our community please do not hesitate to let us know.